Sunday, November 09, 2008

Who Knew?

So for the past day and a half, I've been either in the car or in a hotel. We have traveled the ten hours of two-lane highway (sense my MAJOR irritation here) to come to Phoenix for a med school interview for Travis.

Truth be told, neither of us wanted to make this trip. We never really considered Arizona to be on the top of our list, we didn't want to spend 20+ hours in the car in three days, and didn't want to spend the money this trip would obviously cost us.


But, as you might've guessed, we quit our griping, and just came. And so far it's been extremely pleasant.

About three hours into our driving we realized we were going to be passing by Bryce Canyon by approximately 17 miles. For those who have been there before, you understand why we couldn't pass this up. So we detoured, paid $25 to spend 45 minutes in the park, and ran around the viewpoints like madmen trying to get pictures. And it was fabulous.

Then, to make up for the time loss (as we were still fully intending to make it to the Grand Canyon before nighfall), Katy drove about 15 miles over the speed limit on the - let me remind you again - two-lane highway the whole way there, so we arrived at the Grand Canyon around 4:45 (official sunset - 5:36). Again, we paid $25 for about 45 minutes. And again, it was amazing. This day probably included the best $50 I'd ever spent.

Then we get to our hotel at 9:45 at night, and I don't even need my sweatshirt. It's flippin Nov 8, almost 10 PM, and all I'm wearing is a t-shirt. I could so get used to this.

Our hotel's fabulous...although we are in a room for the disabled...which I almost got offended by until I saw how huge our bathroom was, which officially shut me up. I'm thinking I could hang out here for a few days.

So today we go swimming in an outdoor pool - again, I could really get used to this - and later, it rains. I swear the state of Arizona is trying to win me over - we all know I love the rain. And, quite possibly the best part, we watch The Dark Knight on pay-per-view. As in the best movie ever made. As in the movie I only got to see once in theatres on opening night and have been dying to have come to the dollar theatre ever since. And it was every bit as amazing as I remembered.

So, so far, for a trip that neither of us even wanted to go on, things are shaping up quite nicely. Arizona's certainly different than anything I'm used to, no questions there. The scenery is unique, even from dry Utah, but it's still beautiful in its own way.

Who knows what will happen tomorrow, as I still have a good portion of the day to continue finding reasons to like this place. But for now anyway, I'm happy we came. =D

And that's how it is.